Sunday, August 12, 2007

Sunday Photo update - commentary pending

Friday August 10, 2007

Keyan had his first surf lesson today. He was amazing. I was a bit nervous about the falls and how he would handle swimming deep in the ocean, as well as getting nailed by the waves, but he did marvelously. He caught every wave the instructor pushed him into and rode each one almost to shore each time. He was honestly the best one in the lesson (adults included). Snowboarding and skateboarding has given him an obvious edge. Uncle Bryan said he was the best student of the day. We are going to sign him up for another lesson next week. He loved it. Brenner joined the lesson group and surfed. He caught so many waves he can hardly move at the moment. I think he paddled his arms off. During the lesson Ammon and I played in the sand and made sand creatures. He was such a good sport. I hope he can take the lessons next year when his swimming has improved, although we might let him go tandem with Uncle Bryan. After surfing we ate acai bowls for lunch and then took some well deserved naps.

We met Jason and the girls at gas chambers for dinner. I went for my usual swim and when I was exiting the ocean I noticed this gentlemen take an odd body posture. I normally don’t pay too much attention to people but he caused me to be alert and then I figured out why. It was Matt Damon and Sean Penn. What a greeting! I was too shy to say anything but mumble a hello. I’m sure they just wanted their privacy anyway. I guess they were hanging out with Jack Johnson. We noticed him with his family a few minutes later and since he lives a few houses down they must all be hanging together. That brought my celebrity sightings to 5. Maybe I should have shot photos and made a few hundred thousandJ. The girls came over and had a sleepover. Keyan and Ammon were so excited. We ate popcorn and did some crafts. They all slept together and it was adorable.

Saturday August 11, 2007

We played with the girls and did some more crafts until they had to go then we just lounged around all day. I went for a run and saw another celebrity. I don’t know her name though - I must be a magnet. I can run for 8 minutes on my leg. It feels good to be able to do something other than swim and walk. I went to Halewia in the afternoon to shop a bit. Brenner and the boys stayed home and played while I was gone. It was fun to wander around without having to worry about anyone breaking anything, disappearing, or getting grumpy. The news is warning everyone about a category 4 hurricane. It will come close to the islands next Wednesday so we went to the grocery store and stocked up on groceries and water just in case we need it. I don’t want to get caught in the mad dash to the store the night before the storm is going to hit. I just hope we can fly back on time next week. Brenner and I went outside and tried to watch the meteor shower, but we don’t have a good view from here so we are going to take the boys out tomorrow and see what we can see.

Sunday August 12, 2007

We stayed up late so we were slow to get up. We headed to church but didn’t last long, we went home and all took a great nap! Then we went to the beach to lounge in the sun and play in the small waves. Then we met Jason, Gretchen and the girls at a house on Gas Chambers, a door or 2 down from Jack Johnson’s. We even got to check out quite an engineering feat of a treehouse(this one's for you Chaz). We had some amazing fish from Jason’s friends, some great shrimp and some chicken and terrific salad, Gretchen really hooked us up. Jason was nursing a sun burn from earlier that day (pansy), so we finished dinner, made a fire and smores there on the beach and all laid down in the sand in the dark watching the meteor shower. Gretchen offered a nickel for each shooting star and we think Brin took most of the money. We heard of the approaching hurricane Flossie just of the big island, and even heard that the same island had a 5.3 earthquake. We panicked a bit as we don’t have our 72 hour kits or anything and did what we could to stock up just in case. To add to the fun there was a huge wild fire that sprung up by the Dole Plantation and burned huge right toward Jason and Gretchen’s house. They were with us and even brought their dog just in case, but it kept the fire trucks going all night.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

seeing keyans transformation from web-slinging to hanging loose was awesome/funny to see! wish i was there!