Thursday, August 2, 2007

The Big Update

See Text Below





Friday, July 21, 2007

Keyan and Ammon are enjoying playing in the sand, chasing the waves, and exploring the beach front. Ammon was a little hesitant at first, but each day he grows more and more confident. I would not be surprised if he is swimming in the ocean by the end of our vacation. Our first day here was spectacular. We were greeted with a beautiful cascading rainbow that spanned the ocean. We built a sand turtle on the beach and tried to protect it from the on coming waves by building a protective barrier and motes. We established some Hawaii rules which consisted of 1) watching the sunset as a family each evening 2) chocolate chip cookies ever day 3) respect the homes we have been so generously permitted to enjoy 4) GRUMPY is not allowed to attend any activities. After running a few necessary errands we went to Pupukae Park or more commonly known as “Sharks Cove” to do some snorkeling. Keyan loved it. He is such a water rat. Keyan and Daddy explored the whole cove. They saw a sea turtle and numerous fish life. Ammon was hesitant and nervous about the reef rocks and the water and chose to stay in the shallow end with me, but he enjoyed pretending to be a crocodile and watching Keyan and Dad swim around. We ended the day by watching the sunset together on the front porch, eating cookies, and then racing back to our sleep house for more Adventures of Captain Underpants and sweet dreams.

On our second day we decided to head for a mellower beach, Waimea. Pipeline has big waves at the moment and is not safe for little swimmers, but the surfers are enjoying it. Waimea is a beautiful beach with kid friendly waves and cliff jumping. After we set up our chairs and prepared to run into the ocean I noticed some dorsal fins in the distance and was astonished to see a family of baby Spinner dolphins. There were probably about 30 of them. They were very playful and friendly. We are going to try and go back to this beach on another day and see if we can swim with them. According to the lifeguard the baby dolphins come into the bay each morning to nurse. It would be wonderful to witness this. We are going to plan a day and paddle out early to watch this event. Ammon was already feeling more confident and began to get into the water more independently and completely with Daddy’s help, but he still preferred to stay on the beach with Mommy. He requested the creation of a crocodile and we made an amazing one together. He frequently brings me white flowers for my hair. When I tuck them behind my ear he says, “that’s cute Mommy”. Keyan enjoyed running down the sand hill and jumping into the waves. He played and played in the water. He loves it and I am amazed and what a wonderful swimmer he is and how fearless he is when learning new things. I enjoyed a nice swim and jumped off of the 40 foot cliff. It was fun to do something I enjoyed during my youth. It brought back many Lake Powell memories.

Today we spent the day at the beach. In the morning we went back to Shark’s Cove where Keyan enjoyed more snorkeling and Ammon actually put his mask and snorkel on and stuck his head in the water. He would only look directly down, but he is getting more courageous each day. I am so proud of him. We had to pry him out the water instead of Keyan. I have a feeling we are going to have to do many more snorkeling adventures. In the afternoon we headed over to Gas Chambers where we met up with Jason, Gretchen and the girls. I think Lili has a crush on Keyan. The kids love their cousins and enjoyed playing in a tide pool most of the time as well as body surfing. We ended the evening with smores and a beach fire. The kids took turns telling scary stories and we just enjoyed everyone’s company.

Each day Brenner and I take turns walking on the beach and then swimming. It feels great to get a workout and it is really helping my healing process. Although extremely sore, my Achilles is doing well and the sand is helping strengthen my calf and ankle. I wish I were 100% and able to enjoy the surf. I do not feel comfortable enough to surf right now, but these waves are really tempting. Brenner is enjoying the water. He loves to play around in it as much as possible whether he is snorkeling, surfing, body surfing, or just relaxing in the waves. I enjoy watching him. This time with our family is priceless. The opportunities we have to witness such beauty and experience this island for such a long period of time is remarkable and well worth our two thousand mile move. The fragrant smells, textures, the time to think, the time to observe my children and get to know them better, and the time with Brenner are extraordinary. I have missed having him around over the years. It is nice to have my prince back for awhile. I wish he never had to leave my side I feel complete with him around.

July 22, 2007

Aloha! We were greeted by the Waialua ward with this customary greeting. Each speaker begins with this greeting and the members enthusiastically return with the same salutation. I was very interested to find out that aloha means unconditional love. What a wonderful way to greet your family, friends, and neighbors. Church was wonderful. There were many friendly people and wonderful lessons/talks given. Ammon growled at a young girl in primary and caused quite the ruckus. He said he was pretending to be a raptor and the young girl was not amused she ran to her father saying “those boys are being mean to me” Brenner knew who was to blame and with a chuckle we had to give Ammon and Keyan a mini time out in the hall. I hope the ward will still welcome us back next week. After church we raced home for a quick change and lunch and headed to the local arts festival with Jason and Gretchen. All of the children had a blast getting their faces painted and making crafts. Keyan chose a skull and cross bone painting while Ammon selected a T-rex. He proudly displayed his T-Rex to anyone who would admire his arm. After the festival we headed to the Adams home. It is beautiful and the boys had so much fun playing dinosaurs with the girls. They set up their own dinosaur land and chased each other around devouring plant eaters. Ammon was so upset when we had to leave. He has been pouting saying “that was not fun” when he is upset about leaving an exciting event. I have been trying to let him know that his phrase choice is not appropriate, but he has not grasped it yet. Lilia asked her Mom if she can marry cousins – we think we know which one she is referring to. I think it is so cute. I wish we lived closer to the girls they are adorable and get along great with the boys.

The Monkey Pod trees are beautiful. I think they are the most amazing tree. I love staring at them across all of the landscapes. There wood is absolutely breath taking. I may have to buy some art piece or bowl before going home. I can’t believe a week has almost passed. I feel like we have just arrived.

July 23, 2007

Day 6 Pipeline House

What a glorious ending to a fantastic stay at the Pipeline homes. The sky erupted with color this evening; pink hues, purple, yellow, and vibrant clarity. Tomorrow we will leave these homes and head to Sunset Beach. I can’t wait to explore a different beach and continue our journeys. We spent the day with Gretchen and the girls snorkeling at Hanauma Bay. It is a natural reserve and is glorious. We saw various fish life. Keyan and Avery hung onto a boogie board and paddled out to the coral reef with me. They had a wonderful time seeing puffer, angel, and parrot fish, as well as some brain coral. I became a little nervous when we were pulled into a shallow reef. It was difficult for me to continue pulling the children while getting blasted by the waves and hammered into the reef. The kids were scared for a few moments but they were able to settle down and help me get us out of there. We buried Brin and Keyan in the sand, boogie boarded, and I taught Keyan how to float and dive. Brenner saw a huge eel while snorkeling and was able to join a school of fish for awhile. Gretchen and I took off for a snorkel and enjoyed the wild life as well. Ammon continues to conquer his fears. He had a wonderful time doing his “surfer” moves while body surfing in the mild waves. He could not get enough, and once again while departing I heard his famous phrase “This was not fun”. I tried a different approach today and told him it would be better if he said, “Mommy I had so much fun I don’t want to leave”. I also explained that if he says something is not fun people will think he never wants to do it again. He was quite for a moment and then said, “Okay Mommy. I’m having fun. I don’t want to go”. Let’s see if he retains this learning moment tomorrow.

Once we made it back to the house we ate dinner and Brenner headed out for an evening surf. There were no waves. He was greatly disappointed. He has been dying to ride the world famous Pipeline. I hope he will get his chance before we leave this Island. I am now going to settle into the new and last Harry Potter book and get a goods night sleep (I hope). Brenner has been snoring so loudly lately I feel like I have a new born baby awakened every 2-3 hours. He offered to sleep in the other house, but I love to have him near me. It’s worth the interruptions. Good Night J

July 24th 2007
Happy Pioneer Day! We moved from the pipe house today into the Sunset house. This one isn’t on the beach, but close enough. It is one big beautiful house! We are so fortunate to be able to stay here. Later in the day Kaulin and Kallee Krebs arrived from California to stay with us, as well as Kaulin’s friend, Daniel. They are hoping to be able to get some surfing in. We rested a bit and then headed to the beach for an afternoon swim. Ammon made a new friend, Liam. They enjoyed body surfing together and pretending to be various animals. Keyan loved being the big brother and telling them to be careful and showing them the safe areas to play. I was so proud of Ammon. Liam was playfully throwing sand at him and instead of loosing his cool and crying, hitting, or running away he looked at him and with a soft kind voice said “Don’t throw sand, I don’t like it”. It was great to see him handle a difficult situation well. He also began to repeat over and over, “mom this is my old friend Liam. He is. He is my friend”. He is so cute.
Keyan body surfed a ton. I was really nervous at one point. A huge wave came in and Keyan was slammed right beneath it. He has not learned where to stand when a wave is coming in yet and unfortunately was in the wrong spot when the wave broke and nailed him onto the sand. I ran over awaiting a frightened scream and cry, but it was silent. He just slowly got up rubbed his eyes a bit and headed back for more. I was impressed. I thought for sure he was at the very least scared, but I was obviously wrong. I am sure we will all sleep well tonight.


July 25th 2007

Well, it has been one week in Paradise. Today we got up a bit late and slowly got ready to go to the beach. We met Gretchen and the girls at Waimea. I was reminded of the joy I experienced trying to park at the U of U, as we had to wait for a parking spot to open. After getting snaked a few times and waiting it out I finally got a spot. Once on the beach Keyan threw on his life jacket and ran straight into the water to play with Avery, Brin and Lou Lou. Ammon and I played in sand as Mahdis went for quite a long swim with her snorkel and mask. I guess she even jumped off the big cliff there again and swam all the way back. So I got to be the Daddy Aligator and Ammon the baby, Keyan was the big brother in between sets of body surfing. Ammon finally started playing in the small shore breaks and then when we did a big family hug he came out and joined all the fun. He’s so much fun to hold and swim with. Then it was my turn to snorkel as someone spotted a turtle, so I followed it around for a while working out my sore muscles from previous days of swimming and surfing. The girls left and we finished up body surfing swimming around and headed home for lunch. Yummy left over tacos and the kids watched “Over the Hedge”.

Kaulin and I took that chance to break out the boards and head out to the “Gas Chambers” house for some waves. Jason was just getting back as we set up boards so we got to talk for a bit. Kaulin was great showing me to start from and giving me tips. I paddled my guts out and missed a few. Even backed away from a big one that would have been amazing!! Exhausted I tried a few more times and caught one, but couldn’t get the board to turn so I fell over. Then I caught another but really it had already broken and I was just getting pushed by it, however when I stood up I felt a sharp pain in my lower back and tingling all the way down to my toes, so I swam in. Kaulin was killing it, catching all kinds of waves and having a blast. I watched for a while and sets really dropped off. We stopped by the Pipeline House on the way back and his old girlfriends family had just arrived, he went back later for dinner with them.

Mahdis, Kallee, the boys and I had dinner, yummy tacos, and then headed out to the beach for a small campfire. It had just rained a bit so it was hard finding dry wood. We got a bunch of small sticks and just fed it a ton of nearly dead pin needles which fired up pretty good, but also smoked a ton. The boys had a blast throwing things in the fire and we all enjoyed watching the sunset.

July 26th

Up around 7 today as the sun gets the boys up. We decided to have a beach free day to let our skin get a break. We got already and went to the Dole Plantation. We spent an hour in their “worlds largest maze” looking for 7 hidden stencils that enabled you to complete the challenge. Keyan and Ammon took turns leading us and did great splitting the duties and guiding us like boy scouts through the maze. We did use some “shortcuts” in certain places to speed up the process as it was getting really hot. Then we walked through the shop and bought Pineapple ice cream and then jumped on the historic train that circled some fields. They had a local girls choir Voice Over the whole time including some of their songs which was great! The one thing I remember is that a skilled planter can plant over 10,000 plants in a day, I think they said that would cover 2 Acres! Gnarly, maybe after taking some Cocoa leaves on the way out to the field J. Anyway there were some gentle winds and big soft clouds rolling across the elevated valley so it was quite a beautiful setting.

After a quick nap, at least for me as Mahdis played referee for the boys, and then back in the car for the nearly 2 hour drive into Honolulu. We had a late start so I was pushing it, kind of like pushing a watermelon through a straw. One guy in a hurry and 20,000 other people “taking it easy”. We did get there on time and dropped Mahdis off to an appointment while the boys and I drove into Waikiki. Kind of like a mix between Rodeo Drive, Hollywood and Huntington Beach, with a little Maui flava for fun. We pulled over and played on a Monkey Pod tree, the boys were swinging on the vines like Tarzan, tons of fun. Then we picked up Mahdis, found a health food place for dinner and drove back with the crowds. The drive is really beautiful for about 80% of the time, so no stress. Once home Kallee joined us in watching “Open Season”. The boys were all cuddled up next to Mahdis and looking sooo cute. They laughed so hard at some of the movie and it was great just to hear them laugh. Ammon is really getting a distinct laugh and growing up quite a bit. He really wants to go to the Aquarium here and see sharks! He also has mentioned a few times in the last few days that he misses his toys, he even asked today when the moving guys were going to bring his toys back. Cute, but sad at the same time. I hope we can quickly make some decisions on a home once we get back.

Right before typing this I went down to check on Kaulin and his roomy, a surf photographer for Surfing Magazine, and they were trying to set up a pirated copy of Transformers from his laptop to the home theater set up. I helped and then watched a few minutes looks good. Then came up to have some yogurt, chips and ice cream as the organic Avocado Wrap just wasn’t cutting it. Mahdis has been reading Harry Potter non stop and is going for broke tonight. Almost a full moon!

Sunday July 28, 2007
Day 10

We had a wonderful day. We began our day early by driving into Honolulu and shopping at the flea market. It was huge. It was wonderful to see all of the craftsman and their beautiful pieces. I enjoyed looking at the Monkey Pod woodwork, the many different Islander jewelry, woven baskets, and the wonderfully colored fabrics. We did not last very long due to the heat. It was not comfortable shopping while so hot. We only walked through half of the market, but I was able to buy some beautiful earrings and a few gifts for family and friends. We got lost on the way home, but since we are on an island we were not too concerned. We just enjoyed the glorious mountains and the drive. On our way home we conferenced called with the Adams clan to find out Andrew’s mission destination. He is going to St. Louis, Missouri only a hop and a skip away from Jacob in Kansas City, Missouri.

Kaulin and Kallee Krebs have been staying at the house with us. It has been fun to have them with us. Keyan adores Kallee, constantly asking her to play Uno with him. They go skating together on a friends ramp and Keyan is beginning to pump independently. I can’t believe how quickly he is growing. Ammon is becoming more and more independent each day. He is getting better and better with the potty and now that he earns a gumball each time he goes potty we are seeing a greater increase in his success. He just loves gum and when he is motivated there is no stopping him.

After a little rest at the Sunset house we packed up for an evening swim at the beach. We headed for Wiamae for smores and moonlight cliff jumping. Keyan accomplished his first cliff jump today. We are so proud of him. He jumped off of a 15-20 foot cliff!
He climbed up the rocky point and walked out to the rocks edge a little nervous. Uncle Jason swam in the ocean below to reassure Keyan of the landing and make sure the water was deep enough. Keyan was hesitant at first. He was nervous about needing to jump out far enough to avoid hitting the rock ledge. Brin climbed up and showed Keyan how to do it and once he had that visual he said, “Mom I can do this I’m ready”. He had a determined stance and focused eyes when he counted to three and leaped into the ocean. I was so proud of him. We talked about courage and how life often challenges us, but if we face that challenge, prepare ourselves, and face it we feel more confident and encouraged when the task is completed. Keyan accomplished a great goal today. He was truly nervous before jumping off the cliff, at one point he almost left, but he gathered up courage and with the help and example of his cousin he over came his fear and jumped. Ammon was also spectacular today. He went straight into the water without hesitation. He is getting really comfortable in the ocean before I know it he will be swimming and floating comfortable in the water independently. After our water play we lit a fire and began to make smores. It did not last very long due to a rain burst, but we made the best of it. Brenner was determined to keep the fire going and tried a million tricks until Jason told him it was okay to put the fire out. Brenner really wanted to see the full moon, but it was hiding behind the clouds and we were unable to see it rise. After a few fireworks we left Waimae to return to the house for a sleep over with the girls.

Sunday July 29th

The girls were up early so we made pancakes and then all gathered on the floor to assemble shells with holes we had collected to make a necklace for Mahdis. Avery laid out most of the shells with help from some of the others. Then Jason came to get the girls and we headed out to church. It was great to be back at that ward, good people, great sacrament talks, one a sister referred to our efforts towards missionary work as Good, Goo-ood, and Goo-oo-ood. It was a great talk with some touching stories.

After church we went to Jason and Gretchen’s for a barbeque. We had great Shrimp, Mahi, an amazing rice/mango/black bean salad and some fresh cookies from the bakery down the street. The kids all had a blast making water balloons and playing dinosaurs in the front yard, not to mention rides on the 4 wheeler with Kallee. Then we drove home through all the Sunday traffic, there were tons of small Toyota trucks all jacked up with big tires and wide axles. Ammon fell right to sleep so when we got home we put him in bed and I took a nap with him. Everyone else including Jason and the girls went to the beach for more fun. Afterwards Mahdis and I took a long walk on the beach and put the kids to bed. We started watching Casino Royale with Kallee and she fell asleep.

No comments: